Thursday, December 23, 2010

How to really love your child.

by dr Ross Campbell

This book is amazing. It's funny because it was somethign casually handed to me by a friend. But I think it's one of the best things I've read in a long time. I'm not  a reader, at all. The last book I read was another parenting book, like 2 summers ago? Wow that's bad. But anyways, this book, I could not put down. I read it all in 3 days, I think.

The main concept of the book is that yes, almost all parents love their children deeply. But some of the things we do dont reflect that. The main ways it says we show love, is eye contact, physical contact, and focus time spent with only them. So these are the main areas I'm going to work on. Especially focus time. Children have "emotional tanks." If we are lacking in one of these areas (or perhaps others, not listed) children will start to act out. Sometimes they supress it for longer than others. But repressed hurt and anger will inevitably surface.  The objective is to raise a child such that they know they are unconditionally loved. Even when they make mistakes, even when WE'RE having a bad day, etc. We still love them regardless. And if their emotional tanks are full, you're much less likely to run into behavioural/psychological problems.

2 comments:

  1. Just smiling. I'll make a reader out of you, yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can believe in this. I think I was a child with an half-full tank and it affects me to this day.

    ReplyDelete